Cameras for casual photographers come in so many forms and prices that it’s sometimes hard to determine the good from the bad.
There are many manufacturers out there who will tell you that they have the best lens on the market, and their quality is topnotch and untouchable in terms of imaging prowess.
However, a true gem will offer you the power to change your lenses as you see fit, something that Samsung’s NX500 offers its users.
In terms of quality, it’s also a topnotch camera that will confidently pass professional levels, but is marketed towards enthusiasts and casual photographers.
Samsung NX500 28 MP Smart Mirrorless Digital Camera Review
The pricing is also on point and will surely get anyone interested, with its smaller size competing with the much larger DSLR, and topping its imaging capabilities as well.
A real bargain for those looking for a 4K-capable camera that anyone can effectively operate, the NX500 is another reason why Samsung is a powerful player in the tech world today.
- Fully interchangeable lens camera; includes a 28.2 MP BSI CMOS digital imaging sensor with a powerful Samsung NX lens; produce high-quality stills and clips at a professional level that will add to your enthusiasm as a casual photographer
- True 4K video recording capabilities with HEVC (H.265) codec support for impressive compression technology; captures the most impressive high definition videos at half the storage space and with all the extreme details
- RAW format shooting up to 28M or 6480x4320p for images; RAW 4K UHD 4096x2160p at 24 fps, ProRes UHD 3840x2160p at 30 fps, plus full and standard HD, 1920 x 1080p and 1280 x 720p respectively for video recording resolutions
- Features Samsung’s very own NX AutoFocus III system, which hybridizes the auto focus on the camera itself; combines speed and accuracy for exceptionally fast capture times that are full of amazing detail and life
- Samsung’s latest DRIMe Vs processor fully integrated; as the most powerful yet developed by the brand, it has the speed and performance, as well as accuracy for shooting stills and frames in a wide variety of shooting conditions
- 3” Super AMOLED with touch capabilities LCD with 100 FOV for intuitive camera controls; full wireless connectivity with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth; HDMI and USB 2.0 connectivity; I-Zoom fully capable
As far as affordable and enthusiast-level 4K cameras go, the NX500 is sufficiently capable yet incredibly powerful when used right. This design from Samsung allows interchangeable lenses, so you can easily up your capturing game by using more powerful lenses, in addition to the already powerful standard lens supplied by Samsung.
The NX500 uses the world’s first-ever 28MP, BSI APS/C size image sensor that offers so much untapped potential in the world of compact, yet powerful cameras. At its resolution of 28MP, it’s the highest APS/C available on the market today.
It manages this potential thanks in part to the BSI technology (backside illumination) allowing more light to reach the sensor than the FSI (front side illumination), which results in lower noise and improved image detail. The overall performance is undeniable; you get higher-quality stills and clips without the bulk that is common in cameras offering the same technology, most usually DSLRs.
As a 4K-capable and ready camera, the NX500 supports UHD video recording while still minimizing the storage demands through the use of HEVC compression technology (H.265). The results are smaller sized yet fully detailed videos that are nearly level to full-sized models.
It fits the smaller and more compact storage scheme that comes in the form of a microSD card, allowing for incredible portability in your incredibly detailed footage. The NX500 is fully capable of a variety of video-capturing resolutions, even at a native RAW 4K UHD 4096 x 2160p at 24 fps. It also offers subtler, yet no-less resolutions of ProRes UHD 3840 x 2160p at 30 fps, plus full HD at 1920 x 1080p at 30 fps.
The NX500 also works its auto-focus system through the hybridized NX Autofocus III, the latest iteration in Samsung’s powerful focal technology. It also makes use of the latest DRIMe Vs processor from Samsung, currently their fastest and most powerful processor to date.
The most common problem associated with the NX500 is that some buyers think that the near discontinuation of the line will make the interchangeable lens feature useless since the lens mount is only for NX lenses. This makes it a problem because the included Samsung NX lens is quite soft in comparison to other higher-end lenses on the market, so be sure to consider this before buying the NX500.
4K Camera Conclusion
The NX500 is incredibly efficient in terms of a camera enthusiast’s perspective, and that is what the market this is going for, really. The 4K capabilities are awesome in its own right, and the overall affordability makes it a go-to for fans of Samsung cameras.
If you’re a professional-level user, though, you will have a not-so-great time using it due to the lack of functionality within the professional camera range itself, so keep these considerations in mind.